2010. április 26., hétfő

Xakanaxa camp, Moremi Game Reserve

Elephant bull ahead. You don't wanna mess with these guys!

Being still unemployed in Maun, and with time running out I decided I need to go out on a 4x4 safari into the bush before I need to go home and wait for the next hiring season.
Curious giraffe with crossing zebra.

On 24th of April with 4 friends and two cars I was on my way to Moremi Game Reserve. The trip to Xakanaxa campsite was uneventful and I enjoyed the drive as much as the animals along the road (and even on the road).
Okavango Delta

The problems started later. After going to bed in our tents a heavy rain struck Moremi and it kept on the whole night. And my tent gave up. So it didn't take to long for me to float around.
Sunset painted puddle

Morning did not bring any change. The Toyota Hilux driven by me probably got so much water that it refused to start... After being towed and was able to start the engine in second gear we found out that our game drive was also washed away. The road was totally flooded and even our 4x4's could not cope with it.
On the road out from Moremi the Toyota just died on me one 2 more times. Once we were able to tow it in.
Towed through puddles

The second time it totally gave up. Also the other car a Land Rover got fed up with water and quit. Had to go through the whole engine and wipe everything dry. It took two hours of bush repairing to get the Hilux running again. Not with its own starter though. The light safari trip turned into a tough 4x4 bush adventure.
Probably my last one in Africa for now...

1 megjegyzés:

virginia bed and breakfast írta...

These are all the great destinations to visit and all places are very much historical and significant as well.